Creating an environment of patient and caregiver safety
Safe patient handling is a term that refers to policies and programs that use technology and techniques to allow caregivers to safely lift and move patients without causing injury or unnecessary physical stress.
Hill-Rom is committed to helping you reduce caregiver injury and improve patient outcomes through the use of proven technologies and processes to support better outcomes.
- Nelson A, et al. Rehabil Nurs. 2008;33:33-43.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site. Nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses requiring days away from work, 2010 [press release]. November 9, 2011.
- Nelson AL, ed. Patient Care Ergonomics Resource Guide: Safe Patient Handling and Movement. Tampa, FL: Veterans Administration Patient Safety Center of Inquiry; 2001.
- Smedley J, et al. Occup Environ Med. 1995;52:160-163.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system (WISQARS). http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html Accessed 12/7/11.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Web site. Hospital-acquired conditions. http://www.cms.gov/HospitalAcqCond/06_Hospital-Acquired_Conditions.asp. Accessed 1/3/12.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Web site. OSHA to focus on improving safety and health at nursing home facilities [press release]. November 9, 2011.http://osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=21192. Accessed 1/12/12.
- The Association of Safe Patient Handling Professionals Web site. American industrial hygiene association state legislative summary: ergonomics/safe patient handling. September 19, 2011. http://www.asphp.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ergonomics-SPH-Legislative-Update-09192011.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- Chhokar R, et al. Appl Ergon. 2005;36:223-229.
- Brophy MO, et al. AIHAJ. 2001;62:508-511.
- Zhuang Z, et al. Appl Ergon. 1999;30:285-294.
- Rauch K, et al. J Heathc Qual. 2009;31:36-42.
- The Joint Commission Web site. National patient safety goals effective January 1, 2012: home care accreditation program. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/NPSG_Chapter_Jan2012_OME.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- The Joint Commission Web site. National patient safety goals effective January 1, 2012: long term care accreditation program. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/NPSG_Chapter_Jan2012_LTC.pdf. Accessed 1/12/12.
- Quigley P. Am Nurse Today. 2011;6:14-17.